Glycolic acid is one of the latest buzz ingredients to take the skincare market by storm, but what is it and what does it do for your skin?
Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that's widely used for anti-aging, hyperpigmentation, dryness, and acne. It's properties exfoliate dead skin-cells from the surface of your skin and this exfoliation helps reduce existing fine lines and wrinkles, fades redness and aids the clearing up in acne. It also aids the effectiveness of the rest of your skincare products as when the dead skin-cells are removed, it allows the products to sink deeply into your skin and not rest on top.
Glycolic acid is top tier when it comes to skincare, but always remember to wear suncream as it makes your skin more sensitive to UV rays.
Top Benefits of Glycolic Acid
- Hydrates dry skin
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Brightens and smooths complexion
- increases effectiveness of other skincare products.
- Fades hyperpigmentation (dark spots, age spots)
- Fights acne
Tips for adding into your skincare routine
- Apply to entire face to ensure even exfoliation.
- Less is more - what's great about glycolic acid is it's very effective so you don't need too much product to get a great result.
- Don't over exfoliate - exfoliate about once or twice a week to allow your skin to get used to the new ingredient.
- Don't scrub your skin - let the product do the work so you don't experience any dryness.
- Remember to always apply moisturiser twice a day to hydrate your newly exfoliated skin. Keeping your skin hydrated will also prevent any potential redness or irritation from your glycolic acid product. Again, slight redness and irritation is completely normal and should go away after regular use.
- Glycolic acid exfoliates dead skin and reveals fresh new baby skin but this skin is more sensitive to UV rays so suncream everyday (even when it isn't sunny) is essential.